Prevention of cardiovascular disease risk factors
Cardiovascular diseases mainly affect the heart and brain and are caused by alterations in the vessels which should carry blood and, consequently, oxygen, to these organs.
The major modifiable cardiovascular risk factors are:
- Alterations of lipids: increased cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and decreased HDL cholesterol
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
It has been shown that there is an underlying mechanism that affects all of these cardiovascular risk factors that is called the “proinflammatory state”. This condition is due to an excess of toxic waste in the cells, known as oxygen free radicals, which arise normally during metabolism. Our body has mechanisms to eliminate these toxins. However, because of our Western diet, it is overwhelmed by an excess of these oxidants that cause mild but chronic inflammation in our tissues and will trigger the onset of cardiovascular risk factors (increased cholesterol, triglycerides, cholesterol LDL, decreased HDL cholesterol, etc.), leading to cardiovascular disease and other metabolic disorders.
Cholesterol, a risk factor for cardiovascular disease
High cholesterol is a major risk factor for developing cardiovascular diseases: ischemic heart disease (angina pectoris or myocardial infarction) and cerebrovascular disease (stroke). Nevertheless, we need to remember there are some nuances when it comes to assessing hypercholesterolemia, so it is important to know that:
What nutrients help to reduce the increase in cholesterol?
Among the most active nutrients to help with preventing an increase in cholesterol and triglycerides, and reduce oxidation of LDL, inflammatory response and the effects of ischemic heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes, there are:
- Document property of Megafort Pharma S.L. Diagonal, 549, 5ª 08029 Barcelona (Spain). Its use is restricted to companies authorised by Megafort Pharma S.L. Total or partial reproduction of contents, images or conclusions from this document is prohibited without the consent of Megafort Pharma, S.L.
- This is a document whose purpose is to collect and reflect widely accepted scientific evidence with document references on omega-3 fatty acids.
- All scientific opinions that appear in this document are properly numbered and referenced at the end.
- Megafort Pharma, S.L. does not attribute the health claims contained in the scientific opinions in this document to its products.
- Megafort Pharma, S.L. is not liable for failure to comply with local legislation in each country by the product distributors.